Winter can be dangerous for driving conditions and whether you are a new or seasoned driver being prepared will help increase your odds of staying safe. Here are a few tips:
1. Watch for Black Ice - black ice is a thin layer of ice that forms when temperatures are near freezing. Slow down when approaching bridges, overpasses and shaded areas that are more
susceptible to freezing sooner than other areas in cold weather.
2. Wear sturdy shoes or boots that have good traction - icy conditions, slush and deep snow
can make even the simplest tasks hazardous. Good foot wear will help you stay upright and keep your feet warm.
3. Make sure you have the supplies you need - If you end up getting stuck, wrecked or just sitting, be sure you have the supplies you need with you. Items such as extra warm clothing, blankets, canned food and water should be in your truck. Be sure to also keep your diesel tanks full so you don't run out!
4. Carry a cell phone and make sure it is charged - Your phone can freeze in the cold weather, so don’t leave your phone exposed for long periods of time.
5. Drop your speed to match road conditions - No matter how many times you've driven down
the same road or how many years experience you have under your belt, dangerous road conditions are unpredictable!
6. Don’t follow too close - Traffic will slow down and get congested when roads are bad – keep a safe distance from the vehicle in front of you as not only may the roads be unpredictable
but drivers actions may be as well.
7. Tire Chains - Be sure that your chains fit your tires properly and practice putting them before you need to use them. If you can, stop at a weigh station or rest area to put on your chains so you are safely o ff the road and have room.
8. There is no load that is worth your life - If driving conditions are hazardous simply try to
find a safe location to stop and wait it out.
About Keystone Western
Founded in 1990, Keystone Western provides asset – based logistics solutions for TL and LTL dry van and open deck shippers throughout North America. They also provide warehousing, regional cartage, intermodal services, logistics analysis and 3PL services. Their success has been built on reliable and cost-effective solutions for their customers. To learn more visit: www.keystonewestern.com